Monday, January 14, 2013

Daily Living

Yesterday I got 11 quarts of smoked chicken/turkey stock canned up.  That was fun because it was the first time I'd used the canner since we moved.  Feels good to have a few things in the pantry again.

Today it was back to the real world, or as real world as being a full-time student is I guess.

When I got home I had a hankering for something warm and cozy to eat.  Decided on French onion soup.  Carmelized the onions for over an hour in the cast iron.  Then I added some of the broth from the smoked chicken that I didn't can, and finally popped it in the oven to finish it with the cheese.  It was exactly what we were craving.  Then I'm also finishing up dehydrating 5 trays of mushrooms tonight.

Finally, to round out the evening, there were four laying hens listed for free on craigslist.  So, I went and picked up 3 sex-links and a black and white hen that I'll have to try and figure out when it's light outside.  Unfortunately, their owner could no longer afford to feed them so she was giving them away. 

I've only been getting on average 2 eggs a day the last couple of weeks from nine hens and she said she was getting 3-4 from these gals so we'll see.  My other 9 hens were also CL freebies earlier this fall.  So now our backyard includes four Royal Palm turkeys, and 13 laying hens.  


No comments:

Post a Comment